Well, I dont have Kleb's experience level I don't think, but have done
this half dozen times so far.

I leave the tranny on the engine every time, AT or manual.  Sorry to
not be part of the majority, but it is much easier IMO.  I dont want to
have to deal with bell housing bolts under the car.  Someone said it is
a PITA to get the tranny and engine to line up outside the vehicle.. I
can only say that doing it under the car has to be worse.

The only thing you must do on a 300D level car is to remove the
radiator and slide the AC condenser into the grill a bit and out of the
way.  This is due to the length of the 5 cyl as opposed to the 4 cyl.
An SD may present some other issues, I have done only 123's.  Then
disconnect the flex joint and other paraphanalia to the tranny (please
dont forget the lockout wires, they don't stretch... (c: ), put a jack
under the back end of the tranny to give it some support, and plan on
lifting the engine almost straight up, IE vertical, out of the car.
The jack rolls foward with the tranny end till it begins to take
flight.  A weight/CG shifter on the lift is a handy thing, although I
have done it w/o one.  If you dont have one, then make a bar with a
very short connection to the front of the engine, and a come-along for
the rear connection.  I do not remove the hood, but instead stand it up
vertical.

At several points in the adventure, you will find the rear chain slack.

Oh yes, remove that pos bracket across the back of the engine for a
lift point and replace it with a bit of flat iron or something of your
own design.  The sheet metal one will bend, which is unnerving as the
engine dangles above your favorite car...

Oh again, replace the motor mounts while you're there.  And those
little shocky things on the sides.  And spray wash the engine bay, and
and and and.......

Good luck

Richard

--- Hans Neureiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kaleb has prolly pulled more engines than the rest of us together.
> Here's my question:
> The book says pull the engine and tranny as a unit.
> My indy (super mechanic, but not an expert on MB) thinks it be just
> as
> easy to pull the engine alone. He worries about splitting the tranny
> off with the whole thing hanging in mid air. Is he right? Can't the
> converter stay bolted to the engine?
>
> --
> Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX
> '82 300SD, '95 E300D