I seem to remember reading that earlier MB's had the engine and tranny fitted as a unit from below but later models had the engine and gearbox placed in from the top. I think that is why they went to bonnets(hood) that go fully vertical. Yeah I know what you mean about some of these Chinese goods, I wouldn't contemplate trying to get a big six or V8 out with them but an four banger with alloy head and alloy transmission should be no dramas. The later manual gearboxes only weigh about 30-40kg and can be easily taken and fitted by one pretty strong person.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] best way to pull an engine

"Hendrik Riessen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I think one of the key things is to have an engine leveller on the
engine crane. That way you can alter the angle of the engine and
tranny. Also once the unit is out it would make it easier to
position the tranny on blocks of wood.

If you are tempted to buy a cheap Chinese engine crane, be aware that
they sometimes come with an even cheaper engine leveler accessory.

I pulled the M180 engine from my W110 with this, and it bent the
leveler so much it was unusable thereafter.  The crane itself was
fine.

I pulled that engine with the tranny attached, and it was sooo
difficult to get it all out.  I had the hood off, radiator out, all
accessories off the block, pullys removed, etc. and still ended up
crushing a heater tube on the firewall because of the tight clearance.
Maybe if I had raised the car first so I could get the engine
absolutely vertical without the tranny hitting the floor it would have
worked.  Oh I also had to remove the drag link from the suspension.

The shop manual of course pictured a technician in spotless white
coveralls easily removing the equally spotless engine with
transmission attached, at a moderate angle.

Also I have no idea how this experience will translate to your W123.

When I reinstalled I put the tranny in first then the engine it was
much easier.

Allan