"Hendrik Riessen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think one of the key things is to have an engine leveller on the
> engine crane. That way you can alter the angle of the engine and
> tranny. Also once the unit is out it would make it easier to
> position the tranny on blocks of wood.

If you are tempted to buy a cheap Chinese engine crane, be aware that
they sometimes come with an even cheaper engine leveler accessory.

I pulled the M180 engine from my W110 with this, and it bent the
leveler so much it was unusable thereafter.  The crane itself was
fine.

I pulled that engine with the tranny attached, and it was sooo
difficult to get it all out.  I had the hood off, radiator out, all
accessories off the block, pullys removed, etc. and still ended up
crushing a heater tube on the firewall because of the tight clearance.
Maybe if I had raised the car first so I could get the engine
absolutely vertical without the tranny hitting the floor it would have
worked.  Oh I also had to remove the drag link from the suspension.

The shop manual of course pictured a technician in spotless white
coveralls easily removing the equally spotless engine with
transmission attached, at a moderate angle.

Also I have no idea how this experience will translate to your W123.

When I reinstalled I put the tranny in first then the engine it was
much easier.

Allan

--
1983 300D