On 3/27/07, LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alex wrote:<<hard to get my head around the idea of a 140 being a car that
only "old
> school guys" would know how to fix>>

Hi Alex,
    I fear we are being rapidly left behind as technology marches forward.
The 140 is now 10-15 years old and for someone to have been trained to
work
on it means the techicians have been in the shop for 20+ years so they'd
have a little residence time before being trained on the "Monarch of
Mercedes".  MB would have trained the most experienced technicians to work
on those very expensive models.  So, at this point, those technicians will
have been working as technicians for 30-45 years making them 50-65 years
old
presently - hence the "old school guys" comment.

That makes sense, and makes me feel even more lucky to have a good indy to
go to.  The shop foreman is in his 70s, and most of the techs look to be in
their 40s and 50s.  Most of the cars I see in there are 123s, 126s, and
124s, too.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper