From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Tom Hargrave
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:34 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Heater/AC Blower Motor Problems

Sure sounds like a blower motor to me.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Trampas
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 7:29 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: [MBZ] Heater/AC Blower Motor Problems

So I have been having this strange problem with the blower motor on my 1987
420SEL. Specifically the blower motor would slow down to a crawl at random
times even if the switch was on high. So I initially thought it was the
blower motor, but at last it was not, so I tried another blower control
module (aka porcupine) which had same problem.  So at this point I figured
it was the Heater/AC push button unit, yes I checked fuses. Well I replaced
the capacitors and resoldered the board. I still had same problem.

So after much investigation I found that the power to the blower porcupine
had some AC voltage on it. I thought this was unusual and check diodes in
alternator and found no problems. I also checked ground connections and
everything looked good. So I found that if I placed a large capacitor across
the input power to the porcupine that my problems went away. I was wondering
if a capacitor inside the porcupine was bad, but I would not have expected
two units to have same failure mode. Has anyone ran into this problem and if
so how did you fix the problem?

Thanks

Trampas