From: Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 05/31/07 01:15 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] cheap 190D
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kevin wrote:

> It doesn't matter what anyone else will pay for it. Decide what you
and your
> wife are willing to give up for it, then place that as your maximum
bid,
> either through e-bay or a snipe program. If you get it, be happy.

...provided it doesn't turn out to be a well-polished turd. I bought a
2.3-16v from a seller who claimed to be a mechanic and admitted it had
a noisy rear end. Took me about a minute to figure out the noise was
coming from the trans, almost certainly a countershaft bearing. (it only
howls when you lift throttle in a gear other than 1:1) If I'd been
closer
than 300 miles to the car when I bid, I might have looked at it and
passed.
The rear end noise didn't bother me, as I was planning on using the diff
from my 2.5T, but I don't have a spare Getrag laying around.