No loss of efficiency over very long runs.  At the
school that I work at, we have a number of
intermediate data frames in each building, and the
fiber runs between these and the main data frame are
easily 100+ feet or more.

If you have the hardware that can use fiber, you can
pick up pre-terminated cables on eBay for very little
coin.

I haven't had to buy any in a long time, so I'm not
sure what kind of $$ we're talking about, but it's not
that much more than CAT6, IIRC.

Dan

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7