During my college days, I spent almost 2 years as the servicemaster repairman.
I saw many things take out a vacuum cleaner, the most interesting was a penny.
The damn thing shattered the impeller and got sucked into the motor windings
where it's death was marked with fireworks.  After replacing the impeller and
motor, I dismantled the motor to find that plastic mountings in the case were
broken before the penny made it to the motor windings where it cut nearly 1
inch of windings.
If I remember correctly, this was the same cleaning lady that tripped a
breaker
when she vacuumed over her own cord and it rubbed away the outer
insulation AND
the insulation of hot and ground.  UGH!  I SOOOOO wanted to garnish her wages
for the repairs she caused our equipment.

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (272,xxx mi) head case