I agree. You need to remember that the shop has to warranty to some extent to
keep you as a customer. They check
the vehicle, order the parts, install them etc. If there is a problem, they
have to check the vehicle, get the part
replaced by the supplier, and re-install. No profit in that and it does happen.
They do get some dud parts. Like
everyone else, they need to make a fair living. Some may gouge and some may
work for less than they are truly
worth. The view on that is rather subjective and one must decide for themselves
whether they are being treated
fairly.

I am self employed and I don't know as though I want to be known as the
cheapest in town. I am not in the sort of
position to make myself the most expensive in town and I doubt that it would do
me much good to double my prices.
However, as I said, I don't know as though I would want my clients to go around
telling their friends to come to me
only because I am really cheap. That sort of thing tends to attract people who
expect an awful lot for very little.
I am happier doing work for people who just want a reasonable job done for a
reasonable price. I don't claim to be
the absolute best but I try to provide value for the money. However, I also
admit that is somewhat subjective from
my side of the table too and I am sure there are those who feel overcharged on
occasion. Hard to please everyone.

Randy