On Nov 27, 2007 7:48 AM, John Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would find someone who would clean the manifolds (if the exhaust is
> clogged the EGR has clogged the intake as well) instead of replace them.
>   Seems pretty silly and expensive to me.  He should probably look
> around for a good indy.

The VW TDIs, at least the late-'90s 1.9 liter engines with which I'm
familiar, are notorious for clogging the manifolds with soot due to
overzealous EGR, much like the 603 engine.  They can indeed be
cleaned.  It's not difficult, just time-consuming and messy.  Like
John says, find a good indy mechanic---anyone with TDI experience will
be familiar with the process.  Will cost a few bucks but not as much
as brand-new manifolds (typical dealer "solution"---like burning down
your house to get rid of a termite infestation!).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.