From: John Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 9:48 am
Subject: Re: [MBZ] VW TDi question

Glenn Brown wrote:
> A brother sent me the following query regarding his VW TDi:
> I had my VW Beetle TDi serviced at 105,000 miles. The fuel filter was
> replaced ($90.14) as well as the mass air flow sensor ($358.08). The service
> advisor also recommended replacing the exhaust manifold which is clogged
> with carbon deposits ($745.00). The engine has been sluggish lately, so I
> don't doubt the diagnosis. I was wondering if you have experienced similar
> problems with your M-B turbo diesels. Any advice would be appreciated.
> TIA, I'll forward any knowledgeable suggestions to him.

I would find someone who would clean the manifolds (if the exhaust is
clogged the EGR has clogged the intake as well) instead of replace them.
  Seems pretty silly and expensive to me.  He should probably look
around for a good indy.

Tell him to check out www.tdiclub.com  They have a good forum there and
they might be able to help more.

John