-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Zoltan Finks
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:16 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rant

Yeah, it's a funny thing - there's like a balance of power between the
customer and the provider. And it runs the gamut from a pleasant,
respectful cahsier to what you'll get at the DMV in any big city.
Doesn't have to be the dept. of motor vehicles though - that's just an
example.

When I visited the Phx. area recently after living in MN for several
years, I was reminded all too quickly by the rental car guy how one
gets treated there. And as much as I don't want to offend the more
sensitive among us - face it - in most places, if you have a Black
cashier, you just need to brace yourself for the attitude. It starts
with them not even acknowledging you or looking at you, much less
saying hello.

I recall one confrontation at the Olkahoma City Greyhound station. I
simply and courteosly stated that I had not received an itinerary, and
the big guy behind the counter acted like he wanted to assault me.
When I asked what their policy on getting a refund for my ticket was,
all he had to say was "aint gonna happen." I had to tell him to give
me the itinerary and to get his manger and that it was not too much to
ask - so just do it! He replied "excuse me? did you just tell me just
do it?!!"

The point is the guy knew from experience that he could treat
customers that way - he held the power.

The most amazing experiences I have had have been one particular
little independetly-run vehicle licensing office in Rochester, MN.
They were always respectful and helpful and most of the time jovial
and downright friendly. Now there was a proper power balance.

Okay, I told you I was a stickler on this. Fortunately, the topic
title is "rant".

Brian