Some more advice, if you want it.  These kids have been through a
considerable trauma, and from your description of their situation prior
to that they have also been kinda out of the mainstream, in ways that
are also traumatic.  That is going to weigh heavily on them (and you) as
you work to get them into your proper way of life.

I would suggest checking with your local school system for psychological
evaluations to see how they can/will fit into the school system.  I do
not have a lot of faith in public school systems -- the Catholic schools
seem to have a much better success.  You might want to see if there are
any around that might want to take on these kids, and they will likely
be very accommodating to the circumstances as far as payments go.  That
is a gift to the children.

You might also want to check with the local Dept of Child Services (or
whatever it is called there) about psychological support for the
children.  They WILL need that help, and there is nothing "wrong" with
seeking it or getting it, and it will help make all your lives easier.
There might also be other services for THEM that will help them adjust
and you to take care of them.  You are a taxpayer, this is a
taxpayer-funded service, it is not charity so don't think of it as that.

If there are things that people offer you, or want to give for the
children, accept them graciously in the spirit in which they are
offered.  You will pay this back many times over to many other people
when you help these children, by whatever means you can provide or comes
your way.  It is a loan with a long-term payback, and people are helping
you do it so they will get the benefits back too.  My fear is that the
children are not able to overcome these events in their lives, and will
need more intervention as they get older, which will be more difficult
for everyone.  Every bit of help is for them, now is better than later.
Kids are very resilient but they need lots of help to be that way, as I
am sure you know.

Best wishes for all.  Your Benz community is supporting you.

--R