Unfortunately, a legal woodstove hookup has become pretty expensive. The
building inspectors and insurance people
don't make it an easy or cheap thing to do anymore. Probably good as woodstoves
are potentially dangerous. The
approved stoves are pricey and then one has to put in an approved chimney.
Brick or tile surround to prevent fire
and all that sort of thing. Then if one does not live on an acreage, one has to
buy wood and then has to store
sufficient wood to last for the unknown number of days that one will need heat.
We have a woodstove at the cottage
and need to move it so need to do the new chimney and tile  to permit it to be
in a different spot. These days the
insurance people are pretty careful about coverage for houses with woodstoves.
One must have so many inches of
clearance behind, in front, and to the sides so it also ends up using up a fair
amount of space.  I have often
thought it would be good to have one in our house as a backup but have not done
it as I lack space and the desire
to spend enough to do it well. I therefore have a 7000Watt gas powered
generator, a Coleman stove and a propane BBQ
and hope that any power outage will be short lived. I don't keep a whole lot of
gasoline on hand but assume that
one or more of our vehicles will be reasonably full and provide quite a bit
more for the generator if need be.

Randy