Again... all of this intrigues me!

I read an article a few years ago. There was a company was experimenting
with a system which used a small diesel driven electric induction motor. It
was a home heating/electric generator thing. The liquid cooled engine
provided heat and when turing the induction motor "backfed" power through a
10AMP 240v circuit. The electricity was synchronous with the grid as it
required power to excite the motor. In other words, it wouldn't produce
electricity in a power outage.

I've always been intrigued with the idea of having a electric clutch type
PTO on one of the old cars (or even the lawn tractor) to drive a small
generator. PTO being a hydraulic pump maybe?

In all of this "emergency heat thread," I haven't read anyone's mention of
waste oil heaters like many mechanic shops use?