My dad was stickler about keeping the tanks full. I think it dated back to
the Cold War Era when he'd receive a call at 3AM and have to head to the
missile tracking facility. 24hr convenience stores with fuel pumps didn't
exist then. Of course, most gas stations had attendants back then who ran
out, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield and filled the tank for a few
dollars (@ $0.379 ga.) If you drove a diesel you had the inconvenience of
driving down to the truck route along the river to find a pump.

This was the type of thing I thought of a few mornings ago when I stood at a
convenience store in 16F air marvelling at four choices of diesel (Dino,
B5,B20 B100) at the bright new self-pay pumps.