It seems than at Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:27:15 -0600, OK wrote:

> I've been thinking more about my off-hand remark when we were
> talking about home generators, that I should pull the 616 from
> the 240D (manual tranny) and use it to spin a gen head, and
> put a 617 in the "240D".  It's been said that MB doesn't put a
> manual tranny behind a turbo Diesel due to the need to get the
> RPMs high enough to generate turbo boost, that's hard to do
> with solid gear ratios. However, if you did use a turbo 617,
> wouldn't it start from a stop the same as a non-turbo engine,
> then benefit from the increased torque/HP?

Yup. The turbo boost would drop off at each shift, so if your
point is to make the car faster, it probably won't work. But if
you - like me - just would rather have a clutch and a shift
lever, then go for it!

> If one was to undertake this conversion, and given a suitable
> donor car, wouldn't the drive shaft be the only custom
> modified part?

The flywheel is the tough part. Since the OM617 is _not_
internally balanced and the OM616 _is_, the right way to do the
job is to have non-balanced flywheel that compensates for the
engine imbalance.

Mathieu J. Cama and Craig McCluskey have both done it. I think
there were others too. Maybe they can chime in with the "real"
answer.

--             Philip