On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:03:36 -0600 Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The flywheel is the tough part. Since the OM617 is _not_
> internally balanced and the OM616 _is_, the right way to do the
> job is to have non-balanced flywheel that compensates for the
> engine imbalance.
>
> Mathieu J. Cama and Craig McCluskey have both done it. I think
> there were others too. Maybe they can chime in with the "real"
> answer.

The driveshaft isn't exactly easy, but the flywheel is difficult, if you
want to do it right.

If you want to do it the right way, like the factory manual says, you'll
need to remove the old flywheel from the engine (AFTER marking its
position) and balance the new flywheel to it (facing the same direction,
but rotated 180 degrees, IIRC). I didn't do that. I had the flywheel
static balanced and slapped it on the engine (after putting the proper
input shaft support bearing in) and got away with it. I've driven 65 kmi
since then without problems. YMMV!

Craig