Because they are pieces of crap to begin with. Those cheap sets are
designed to sell, not work.
I don't doubt that you can get a decent air-cooled genset - but it
will cost more than $800.

Personally, I stay away from anything air cooled: cars, skidsteers,
generators...
People only buy them because they are cheap. There is NO inherent
advantage in running an air cooled 4-cycle engine.

Well, okay - I did think of one thing - my lawnmower. In that case, I
can sacrifice longevity for light weight.

-Dave Walton