> Because they are pieces of crap to begin with.
> Those cheap sets are designed to sell, not work.

As appears to be that $1k Costco diesel set that I have a
defunct example of.  Some bad design on the electrical end
of things.  But I still have hopes I can resurrect it, and
by all accounts the air-cooled diesel engine is a fairly
decent design.  And it really is surprisingly quiet for
a 3600 RPM air-cooled diesel.  That enclosure is very
functional.

My $400 45kW Kohler is a _very_ nice generator, but did
have three rusted cylinders.  Something of a kit,
that was.  And something less than portable!

-- Jim