This was an old trick that I learned in 1978... driving a FWD land yacht
that everone mused "why does he have snow tires on the front?" There was
always some "person" who broke traction on ice uphill and caused a string of
cars to do the same. I decided there would be less damage to land softly in
a snowbank than to have another vehicle sled into the side of me.

OH... "the untraveled"... I also learned the benefits of "hanging wheels" in
curves or to add traction driving just on the shoulders where the tires
could grip. First rule of driving in snow? Stop at the store and buy a
carton of eggs. Place them under the brake and accelerator pedals.

On a night like tonight I sometimes open a window so I can hear some poor
fool thinking if they floor the accelerator they might melt enough ice to
move another inch.