My 86 Suburban was like that too. At 183K miles the 350 Small block motor was
fine. I changed the valve seals at
about 115K miles and that helped a lot. It ran stronger and used less fuel
after the new seals were installed.
Apart from that, the motor only got accessory things like a starter and an
alternator and a recored radiator.
Nothing internal and I didn't run Mobil 1 either. I don't know much about its
early life as it had over 100K miles
when I got it in July 1991. It hauled that boat of a Suburban body around
without complaining and didn't even do
too bad on fuel by today's standards. It was the last year with a 4 BBL carb
instead of the throttle body injection
setup. The 700R4 transmission, on the other hand was not good. The interior was
not bad either. I had the bottom
part of the front bench seat repadded when the foam got too soft and I felt
like I was leaning toward the door. The
cloth on the seats was fine. I had the body fixed and painted once. It came
from Texas and being red over tan, was
a bit faded. By 2000 rust was starting on the door bottoms but the rest of the
body was still pretty good. I still
sort of miss it. I sold it to a fellow who planned to fix it up for the long
haul. I should check to see if he
still has it.

Randy