John Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   When oil is $50 a barrel who cares about solar, wind, nuclear,
> etc.  When its $150 a barrel a lot of people will.  As more research
> money is put into the alternatives sources (because people are now
> willing to buy it) new techniques to reduce cost, improve
> performance, etc will start to appear and make the alternative
> sources an even better alternative.

From the link I posted in another response on this thread:

    Sheik Yamani was the Saudi oil minister during the oil price
    shocks of the '70s and '80s.  "If we force Western governments to
    invest heavily in finding alternative sources of energy, they
    will," he said in 1981, shortly after OPEC production cuts caused
    the price of crude to hit a record of $39.50 a barrel—roughly $100
    a barrel in 2007 dollars. "This will take them no more than seven
    to 10 years and will result in their reduced dependence on oil as
    a source of energy to a point which will jeopardize Saudi Arabia's
    interests."

Allan
--
1983 300D