From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Alex Chamberlain
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:51 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: McCain proposes break in fuel taxes

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Wonko the Sane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I am all for a flat tax. I will give away my mortgage deduction (TurboTax
>  always points to standard deduction anyway, so why be buying a house?) if
>  everyone would pay x% of income (NO loopholes) in taxes.
>
>  Let's say 5%. if you make $20K a year, you pay 5%. If you make
$10,000,000 a
>  year, you pay 5%.

Do the other Democrats know you feel this way?  Have they tried to
kick you out of their tree house yet?  ;)

Seriously, I've never heard anyone else who was a self-described
liberal support a flat tax.  Quite the opposite---it's usually the pet
project of people who are unabashedly in the pocket of big business
(e.g. Steve Forbes).

Isn't a flat tax as regressive as you can get (short of charging a
percentage inversely proportional to income)?  It hits the poor a lot
harder than the rich, surely.  In your example above, 5% of
$10,000,000 means one less condo in Lake Tahoe, new Bentley for the
mistress, or splurge in Vegas... big deal.  But 5% of $20K means
Grandma doesn't get her heart medicine, or the kids don't get new
winter coats. BIG deal.

Alex Chamberlain