The reason for the page size increase is the huge amount of graphics,
scripts and annoying ads.

The best thing you can do if you've got kids getting at the machine is
to create a separate login account just for them. You retain
administrator rights and they can't install anything without your
approval.

 This will also not run their crap when you want to use it.

How full is the hard drive? Is it making any noise? When was the last
time you defragged? When was the last time you ran scandisk to check
for errors? How much RAM do you have?

Most of those kiddie programs, AIM etc. start automatically. Right
click on their ico in the bottom right corner and open them. Go into
options and unclick start when windows starts or whatever wording they
use.

Check in the main menu/start for other programs listed there.

Personally I'd swap to a Linux distro. All those messenger progs can
be handled with ONE messenger prog in Linux. The distros out now are
painless and intuitive. They run miles better than MS junk. You really
won't notice the difference much after the first week.

I think the user accounts and passwords are the best resolution.
Perhaps a clean install?

I can walk you through any changes you need to make if you want to
phone me. It's easy stuff.

Zedic