I think they are stretching things quite a bit:

"The reason is that it takes land to grow fuel. That inevitably leads to the
destruction of forests and grasslands, the studies say."

When was the last time you heard of somebody clear-cutting land so
they could grow soybeans and corn? Do these people have any idea how
much cropland the government is currently paying farmers to not grow
crops on? Or is that what they mean by "grasslands"?

60 acres of those "grasslands" were bought by my family 30 years
ago as "croplands". Since then, I've seen it used as cropland, hayfields,
pasture, and now wild grasses. The local wildlife (especially deer, pheasant,
and turkey) liked it best when it was planted in corn. These days they
sleep in the grass and do a lot of their eating in the neighbors' corn.

I'm not sure how large the deer herd would be without hunting pressure.
We had 30 cattle and 25-30 deer 15 years ago, now we have 15-20 deer.
Clearly, land that can support 30 or more cattle could easily support
100 deer, but that sort of deer population (1000 deer per square mile)
would quickly be deemed a nuisance.

Mitch.