Tom Hargrave wrote:
> Then there's the long term impact of compact florescent bulbs. Every one
> contains a bit of mercury. I don't know about you but I throw mine out when
> they burn out and I bet that 99% of the county does the same. So, do mercury
> tainted landfills appeal to you?

Metal-halide, low-pressure sodium, and normal (tube) fluorescent bulbs
also have mercury in them...  I have no numbers, but I think the use of
those bulbs far outnumber CFL usage.  This has been an ongoing thing for
quite some time now... its not a new problem.  Eventually Joe Public
will be made aware of the problem, and recycling centers for the public
will be popularized.  It also depends on the area.  In the rural south
it isn't as likely to be a problem as it would be for more urbanized
areas with significantly denser populations (and thus much larger and
more concentrated landfills).

http://www.p2pays.org/mercury/lights.asp

John