Trying to figure out why my wiper on the POS 300E doesn't work.
Symptom is that every other function of the combo switch works
fine---signals, high beams, windshield washer---but not the wiper, on
any setting.

It's controlled by the "combination relay," the long skinny one back
behind the fusebox.  Looking at the schematic, pin 2 of the relay
socket goes to ground and pin 16 is the only one that goes to the
wiper motor.  So if I jumper pins 2 and 16 with the ignition on, the
wiper should move, right?  Pull the relay and stuff a scrap of wire in
there... nothing happens.  Ohmmeter between those pins reads zero
resistance.

It'd be nice to test the switches in the stalk, but I'm at a loss how.
 There are four lines labeled as going from the relay socket to the
switch---slow, fast, intermittent, and common, I'd think, but I can't
seem to find the right page in the ETM that would confirm which is
which.  (And my mapping doesn't allow for the push on the end for
wash-and-three-wipes, either, so I must be wrong.)

Anyway, barring failure of the switch, am I crazy or am I looking at a
short to ground somewhere in the wiring between pin 16 and the motor,
or in the motor itself?  Needless to say, that wasn't what I thought
would happen; I was expecting the relay itself to be malfunctioning,
by analogy with the ACC system (where, in my experience, once you've
ruled out the head unit and have an adequate charge in the system, a
compressor that won't turn on is invariably the fault of the Klima
relay).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo, '86 300E, et al.