I'm taking the liberty of replying to his on-list, since other people here
might have some input.

----- Original Message (Off-list)
From: "Anurag Garg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Daran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: Cherub faced individuals with shoes that need tying.

> > Also, If you have exponents of your own
> > needing both P-1 and TF, it should have the P-1 done before the last TF
bit.
> > Brian Beesley has done extensive testing to verify this.

I don't know how much memory he was using, but the more you have available,
the earlier you should do it.

> Are you absolutely sure about this. Do let me know what the reason for
> that might be.

Absolutely sure.  I pointed this out in the list some time ago, and had a
fairly lengthy off-list discussion with him and George about it.

The reason is simple.  If you do Trial Factorisation first, and it finds a
factor, then you save yourself the cost of the P-1.  On the other hand, if
you do the P-1 first, and it finds a factor, then you save yourself the cost
of the TF.  Since the probability of finding a factor with the P-1 is about
twice that of the last bit of factoring, and the cost is much lower, the
expected saving is much higher.

The optimal point during TF at which to do the P-1 is when
cost(TF)*prob(P-1) = cost(P-1)*prob(TF)

This analysis is complicated by the fact that P-1 and TF search overlapping
factor spaces, and thus affect each other's conditional probabilities.
Currently the client assumes that no further TF will be done when it
calculates optimal P-1 limits.  In other words it assumes that a successful
P-1 will save the cost of 1.03 or 2.03 LLs depending upon whether the
assignment is a DC.  It does not consider the possibility that a P-1 may
only save a small amount of subsequent TF factoring, which would be the case
if that factoring also would have found a factor.  (Bear in mind that the
conditional probability of this is *increased* because the P-1 was
successful.)  Consequently, if you do a P-1 before you finish TFing, and you
set the factored bits to the amount you have already done, the client will
choose limits which are too high, while the limits will be (slightly) low if
you set the factored bit to the amount you are going to do, but they will be
much closer to optimal.

When the TF limits were originally decided, it was assumed that a sucessful
TF would save 1.03 or 2.03 LLs.  I can't remember whether George has ever
said whether they have been lowered to take the P-1 step into account.
Perhaps he or Brian could remind me.

Additional complications arrise when you consider that P-1 and TF might be
being done on different machines with different Integer:FP perfomance
ratios.  I have never been able to get my head around this.  :-)

Regards

Daran G.