Hi,

At 11:09 AM 10/22/2002 -0800, Gordon Bower wrote:
It is running version 18, which was, of course, the latest version out at
the time the machine was last under my control. It's beginning to
experience difficult getting assignments below the the 20.x-million
limit.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to stop a runaway copy of
v18? Perhaps in a few weeks the server can be updated to return an "out of
exponents" error to v18 instead of offering it an assignment it can't
handle?
You cannot stop a runaway v18 factoring client.  It will get and discard
assignments until it gets one below 20.5 million that is not factored to 2^64.
Scott is supposed to be working on a server fix to give these v18 factoring
clients a double-check assignment instead.

Until Scott implements his fix, I periodically release these discarded
exponents so that you don't have to.  I've been watching about 5 machines.
Email me your userid and machine  name and I'll make sure your
exponents get released too.