On 21/09/17 01:20, Eric Anholt wrote:
Dylan Baker <dy...@pnwbakers.com> writes:
Results
autotools : sh -c   535.34s user 30.33s system 310% cpu 3:02.05 total
meson     : sh -c   136.58s user 11.98s system 372% cpu 39.895 total

I just want to point at these numbers again.  meson is so transformative
for your normal build/test cycles that it's worth it even if we have to
duplicate source lists.  I know these aren't quite representative
because of all of automake's checks that haven't been done for meson,
but here's what we had for the X server conversion:

                        autotools:   meson:
no-op build              0.83         0.49
touch Makefile.am        1.28
touch configure.ac      16.68
touch meson.build                     2.92
clean ccache build      16.74         1.44
clean build             52.24        27.84

Hopefully we can replace two of our build systems (hopefully android and
scons?) with this one, and then I think it will definitely be less
developer build system maintenance, even with duplicated source lists.
I'd be curious to hear what the vmware folks would need from meson in
order to drop scons, and I'd be willing to put in a good bit of work to
make it happen.

The idea of a unified build system for Mesa certainly appeals to me. And while I'm an happy CMake user, I don't think I'd ever pick scons again for a new projects, so personally I wouldn't be sorry to see it go. That said, I simply can't comment on what I still don't know.

I'd like to complete the mesademos meson conversion first to gain better and 1st hand understanding of it. I did try to collaborate on that, but I hit a wall, and I will need some help to make progress.

Namely we need to find a solution to consume stuff like glew/freeglut as DLL, without having to compile their sources with meson, because I'm afraid that porting glew/freeglut to meson in order to port mesademos on meson is simply a bit too big to chew, and the wrap modules are just too awkward to jump on for a beginner. More on this on the separate thread.

Jose