On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Joe Waters wrote:

> On the other hand, I think nvidia's reference implementation for linux *did*
> include its own glu library -- are these the same?  Should people continue to
> look to Mesa for the de facto standard glu implementation?

GLU is supposed to be a pure layer on top of OpenGL - making no nasty
backdoor calls into the guts of the renderer.

That being the case, it *should* be possible to use any GLU with
any OpenGL/Mesa implementation.

I suppose one could argue that a GLU could legitimately make use
of OpenGL extensions without checking that they exist on the grounds
that it *knows* they exist for it's own OpenGL.

I trust nobody has ever done that - so it should be OK to mix and
match GLU's and OpenGL's.

I think Mesa is the correct place to maintain "the" OpenSource GLU,
and I'd certainly be rather suprised if anyone ever bothered to
write a competitor to it!  The only (slight) possibility would
be if some IHV ported their own Windoze GLU onto Linux for
some arcane reason.

Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.hti.com
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1