On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Brian Paul wrote:

> Thomas Tanner wrote:
>
> >  I suggest to move all demos to a subdirectory "demos":
> >
> >  demos     -> demos/demos
> >  3Dfx/demos -> demos/3Dfx
> >  BeOS      -> demos/BeOS
> >  book      -> demos/book
> >  ggi/demos -> demos/ggi
> >  images    -> demos/images
> >  mtdemos   -> demos/mthread
> >  samples   -> demos/samples
> >  utils     -> demos/utils
> >  xdemos    -> demos/x11
> >
> >  That would be the only way to support
> >  the two separate packages with autoconf.
>
> Really?!  It shouldn't be hard to detect the presence of those
> subdirs and conditionally build their contents.  But then again,
> I don't know much about autoconf.

We could modify the release-configure-script to call another script, which
removes the demo directories from the SUBDIR variable in Makefile.in, if
these are not present. Another way (I think, it will be the harder one - )
could be to do this in the toplevel Makefile. However, I recommend the
first way.

- Holger