Ian Romanick wrote:

> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Since we're not using something like automake to control the build, I
>> was wondering if Mesa could make more use of GNU make conditionals and
>> functions. There are a lot of different ways that Mesa can be built,
>> and I believe it could be much more robust than it currently is. Right
>> now we rely on the configs having sane settings and some carefully
>> placed shell tests (see src/mesa/Makefile).
>>
>> This would have the effect to make the build non-portable from GNU
>> make probably, but I really don't know anything about other make
>> programs. This is already implied since there's some use in the build
>> (see src/mesa/drivers/dri/Makefile.template).
>
> Makefile.template is only used for DRI drivers, not for core Mesa.
> Right now DRI is only supported on Linux and FreeBSD.  Both of these
> platforms ship with GNU make by default.  However, core Mesa (without
> DRI) is supported on a ton of Unix flavors (HP-UX, AIX, older SunOS,
> etc.) that do not ship with GNU make by default.
>
> That said, GNU make is available for all those platforms.  I would
> personally be in favor of requiring GNU make if it will help clean up
> the Mesa build madness even one tiny bit.

I think src/mesa/Makefile is really the only ugly Makefile.  The rest
seem pretty reasonable.

If that Makefile can be cleaned up substantially by using GNU make, I
could probably live with that.  If/when someone on a non-GNU-make system
complains we'll try to help them out.  I know of a few people still
using Mesa on non-GNU systems.

One way to improve the build process that I was going to look into
sometime is to build static .a lib in each source subdir, then assemble
the relevant .a files into the libGL.so in a reasonable place (like in
drivers/x11 for the stand-alone Xlib Mesa).

I'd also consider another build system like cmake.  It's supposed to be
fairly powerful and work on Windows too.

-Brian