The BY_REGION modes indicate that it's OK for the GPU to discard the
fragments in the region(s) which failed the occlusion test (perhaps
skipping other per-fragment ops that would have otherwise occurred).
See the spec at
http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/conditional_render.txt for
details.

I'd be happy to omit those modes for now.  But since they're in the NV
spec, I suspect NVIDIA hardware (at least) can make use of them.

-Brian