On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz <wallbra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM, George Sapountzis
> <gsapount...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz <wallbra...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> 0003 moves drisw into dri/sw and the drm dri files into dri/drm, yet
>>> again for clarity.
>>>
>>> 0004 moves the common files into a common directory.
>>>

>> I think that it may be better to just consolidate dri_screen.c /
>> dri_context.c / dri_drawable.c / dri_extension.c in a single file
>> named dri.c or dri_api.c or dri_driver_api.c similar to the glx/xlib
>> state_tracker. There is not much left in the above files after
>> splitting out version-specific code.
>>
>> Then you will have:
>> dri_api.c or dri_driver_api.c for the DRI "window system" binding
>> dri_st_api.c
>> and
>> dri1.c dri2.c drisw.c for the different versions
>>
>> the only outlier is dri1_helper which I agree may have a better name.
>>
>> But then I looked at this a lot lately and your suggestion may be
>> better for someone looking at it after some time.
>
> I think you can do both, the moving of the files is more for making it
> blatantly clear what is going on. The common files live in the common
> directory and the rest are in their own directory. This mirrors what
> is done in egl.
>
> I'm ambivalent about grouping the files together. And I don't think
> that moving them it a common directory stops us from doing either one.
> Then again dri_extension.c is quite useless, and should probably be
> moved into dri_screen either way.
>
> Are you strongly against the layout that I suggested? I have no real
> problem with doing both?

Ah ok, then the suggested layout serves well its purpose. Wrt to
consilidating in dri_driver_api.c (dri_util.c is effectively
dri_api.c), it depends on what your plans are for st/dri and if it
involves adding more common code, I don't have other plans for st/dri
:-)

I'll add a comment about the ifdef's (srceen / swap_buffers in
dri_screen.c, flush_front / alloc_buffers in dri_st_api.c) and to
drisw_util.h about its relationship to dri_util.h .

>>> One thing that could be done to reduce the amount of #ifdefs would be
>>> to move the tables from dri_screen.c into drisw.c and dri2.c.
>>
>> yes, this could be done unless the suggestion above is adopted, in
>> which case I thinks it's probably better to keep all the dri_
>> functions static and the _DriverAPI tables in the common file.
>
> There is only one function that is static that is used in the tables,
> or are you meaning that we should make them static as we move all of
> them into a single file?

yes, if we move them all to dri_driver_api.c then it makes more sense
to make them static and keep _DriverAPI in dri_driver_api.c with an
ifdef.