>Scott Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to prevent the text field portion of a combobox button
>> from automatically hiliting when its parent stack becomes active?
>
>I have had to override this behavior on two applications. MetaCard
>automatically selects the first unlocked field it finds whenever the
>card opens. It is almost never the behavior I want (not very Mac-like,)
>and I wish it were optional. Scott, can we get a property setting for
>this so we can turn it off?

Comboboxes have a different function then list fields but I agree, list
field's current behavior in this respect makes no sense. Why not select the
fifth line? The field cannot assume a default line arbitrarily nor that
there should be one. This is optional behavior and should be scripted.

>The only solution I've found is to create a transparent dummy field that
>is one pixel wide and give it a lower layer number than any other
>editable object. If possible, hide it under an opaque button or field,
>but keep its locktext set to false. When the card opens, the dummy field
>will be the default selected object and your other fields and buttons
>will remain untouched. If I don't have a suitable object to cover the
>dummy field (sometimes the blinking cursor shows through the cover field
>anyway,) I line up the single-pixel wide field with the edge of a button
>or graphic, so it doesn't show. You can't just hide the dummy field, you
>have to keep it visible since the default selection won't go to a hidden
>field.

You can also place the dummy field off the visible window for that purpose.

>Both my apps start up with a list field for which I want no default
>selection. Actually, in one app, one of the options for the user is to
>proceed without selecting anything. Seeing an item in a list selected
>for no reason is confusing. Is this a Unix convention? Windows? Could
>the Mac version just not do it? It isn't very hard to have a script
>select a line in a field if that's what you want.

>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay        |             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>HyperActive Software          |                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Custom hypermedia solutions   |         http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>612.724.1596                  |                   612.724.1562 - fax

Regards, Andu