On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Scott Raney wrote:
>
> >> Time for another dumb question...
> >>
> >> How does one name the default menu item that appears under the Apple menu on
> >> MacOS?  I assumed this was done by setting the name of the button (menu)
> >> contents, which I've renamed "&About Myapp...", yet the menu continues to
> >> appear as "About..." when *not* running under the editor.
> >
> > Sounds like it's not finding the menu bar at all.  Make sure that the
> > group that you're using as a menu bar is available when your stack
> > opens (i.e., is in that stack or one of its substacks).
>
> This is the problem.  I know the menu (which resides on a substack) is being
> found, because the custom menus I created show up fine.
>
> After playing with it some more, it seems that MC ignores the first line of
> the button menu contents, and uses whatever appears on the second line as
> the default item under the Apple menu.  Don't ask me why.  I put nothing but
> a return on the first line, and the second line reads "About myapp...", and
> it appears to work fine.

How many items in your help menu?  I guess two.  A normal help menu
has more than that, and there's a divider line between the other stuff
and the "about..." item.  That divider is what's being deleted.  But
since you don't have any other things in there, you need to put the
blank line in there.  This is going to look funny on Windows, so a
better solution would be to fill out the Help menu with some more
useful stuff.
  Regards,
    Scott