Tracy,
When I find myself in this situation I tell them they can be certain it's not a
meteorite because I'm not offering them any money! I tell them how important a
new find/fall would be and that if this was a meteorite, I would be connecting
them with an institution and offering cash. This usually gets the point across.
Good luck!
Larry
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 tracy latimer via Meteorite-list