I have had this same discussion with various
scientists from the day I returned home from Carancas.
All of them said that the models suggested that
Carancas could not have been a chondrite, especially
one so fragile as that meteorite is. One even emailed
me to ask if I was sure that the meteorite fragments
we brought home were from this crater, that perhaps we
had been somehow scammed, because the models said only
an iron meteorite could form a crater this size. This
is science at its best, since something clearly
happened that it seemed should not happen. It did
happen so science now has the opportunity to figure
out how and why the models we wrong. This will
continue to be one of the more important meteorite
falls for a long time.
I forget who, but someone on this list called me on
calling Carancas a crater-forming meteorite, well, it
seems they were wrong! Of course it is a crater. It
also seems that the few kilos that came out are all
that are going to come out, there is no more material
in Peru, other than weathered dust. If you do not have
Carancas in your collection, you are doing yourself a
disservice.
Michael Farmer

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/1216.pdf

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2446.pdf

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/02/25/701427.aspx

> > Meteorites spark mysteries Posted: Monday,
> February 25, 2008 8:20
> > PM by Alan
> > Boyle
> >
> > Five months after a meteorite made an
> international splash in Peru,
> > experts
> > are
> > suggesting explanations for some of the space
> rock's effects - for
> > example,
> > the
> > sickening odor villagers smelled at the crash
> site, and the bubbles
> > that
> > were
> > seen emanating from the water-filled crater left
> behind. But a
> > study due to
> > be
> > presented next month also raises fundamental
> questions about the
> > event. In
> > fact,
> > an international research team declares that the
> impact "should not
> > have
> > happened" at all.
> >
> > Yet another study sets forth a mystery surrounding
> two other
> > meteorites
> > found in
> > Antarctica a couple of years ago. The rocks don't
> match any other
> > class of
> > meteorite - so where did they come from?
> >
> > The two studies are among hundreds submitted for
> the annual Lunar and
> > Planetary
> > Science Conference, scheduled March 10-14 in
> League City, Texas. The
> > conference
> > offers the cream of the crop in planetary science
> - focusing on topics
> > ranging
> > from the solar wind, to Mercury and Mars, to the
> icy dwarfs on the
> > solar
> > system's edge.
> >
> > The Peruvian meteorite impact comes in for a fresh
> round of scientific
> > scrutiny
> > in a study submitted by researchers from Brown
> University and
> > institutes in
> > Peru
> > and Uruguay. Just after the impact was reported,
> some scientists
> > doubted
> > whether
> > a meteorite was actually responsible for the
> crater - but subsequent
> > analysis
> > proved that a stony space rock was involved (as
> opposed
=== message truncated ===