Smiley Smile was the little LP that never was. The sound of Brian going
away. The sound of contractual fulfillment. After months of articles, it
seemed as if SMiLE would be incredible. Unfortunately, the watered down
version was especially disappointing, due to the pre-furor over SMiLE. And
to add insult to injury, "...then, you'll never have to hear surf music
again..." kneecapped the BB's around the same time.