Well of course he contributed WAY back in the day ... and meaningfully so.
I think the thing that IRKS so many folks is the fact that Love wants to be
considered as WAY more...as an equal to Brian for the whole haul.  He was
NEVER that and by the time the best parts of the group's journey had
ended...Love also wasn't Carl's, Dennis' or even Al's equal in terms of
talent.  I'd say that some of those early contributions came back to
consistantly bite the Beach Boys square on their collective ass.  His early
assets, in many ways, would later become deficits and liabilities.

No...by then he was just a festering asshole and it's, therefore, almost
easy to forget that he, at the very least, pulled his own weight over the
first 4 or 5 years.  After that he was increasingly more like the group's
Freddie the Freeloader/Mega Shithead.  And you know what?  He ain't all
that bright either.  He's sort of a Jack of many trades but not really too
terribly qualified to do all that much particularly well.  [with the
exception of reliving 1962, '63, '64, '65 and some of '66... ... ...but
THAT gets ever-so-old...ever-so-fast.  Remember t...those lyrics he
contributed to TWGMTR?  Creepy.]

No.  I cut that dick-head way too many unearned breaks and gave him the
undeserved benefit of the doubt far in excess of too many friggin' times.
I've said it before.  I hope his last days are lonely, painful and
expensive.  It's time for him to reap a little of what he's sowed.  He's
such a  "dip dip dip dip de dip".