Al Gilman wrote:

If the machineable info is not routinely passing through the
consciousness of the communicating principals (that is, people),

Who may, without the machine-mediated interpretation, not actually be able to make a qualitative judgement (e.g. if I see a geo lat/long value , I'm not enough of a walking map to instantly be able to review that data...so I will need to run it through something like google maps to work out if the data is duff or not)...

If in some community of communication, the data is routinely
extracted into view often enough so that bad data tend to get weeded
out, then the storage or transmission form doesn't have to be
directly comprehensible by people. But one of the virtues of markup
languages is just how much of the info is directly under the quality
control of people; expressed in as little-encoded form as can be
gotten away with.

But to bring it back to the original argument, the routine extraction does not necessarily have to equate to data visible in, say, a tooltip. The routine extraction may well be mediated via some machine interpretation.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com