Hello,

At work, I'm kicking around microformats as a method for adding additional semantic information to archives - letters, diary entries, log books and so on. I blogged a little about this already - using rel-tag to tie together related materials:
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk/archives/2008/01/microformats_an_1.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on using xfn (or some variant thereof) to add machine-readable relationships to published biographies? Or in general, to express the relationships that exist within the network of people associated with an archive of published writing? A specific example is the link from
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=41
to http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=96 (near the end of the biography) where I could potentially mark that Ann is the daughter of Matthew. If xfn is embedded inside a hcard, does it refer to the person referenced by the hcard as the source of the relationship? Would I also need to somehow markup "Flinders, Matthew" with a URL so it's explicit, to a parser, which Matthew Flinders we're talking about?

Also, the rel attribute on links seems handy for expressing relationships between letters and their authors, or letters and their recipients, or even letters in a series of correspondence. Does anyone know if there are any examples of this out there already?

I'll try to mock up some prototype pages next month, but thought I'd get comments from people with practical experience of using microformats before I start.

Thanks
Jim

Jim O'Donnell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]