On Sat, Apr 26, 2014, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Adrien Nader <adr...@notk.org> wrote:
> > I believe --with-arch=core2 is a big issue for generic toolchains. It
> > will create troubles which will be very annoying to pinpoint.
> >
> > Any x86_64/amd64/EM64T (I love how Intel always makes up awful names)
> > already has SSE2 and there is little value in restricting this except in
> > very specific situation which are better dealt on a case-by-case basis.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien Nader
> >

> Do you really meet this issue ? I can not image someone still running
> 64 bit Windows on such old CPU.
>
> Intel core2 release in July 2006, shutdown in January 2010.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

I have troubles believing people still run XP but many do. :P

The issue is rather when you look at the AMD CPUs.
First models with SSE3 are from the end of 2007 (meaning you would still
easily see machines with them at the end of 2008, even beginning of
2009).
The real issue is with SSSE3 (one more 'S') since the first mobile CPUs
with it have been released beginning of 2011 and the first desktop CPUs
with it have been released end of 2011 are are still easily found.

I have a machine without SSE3 in my living room (albeit it needs a new
PSU), along with a machine without SSSE3 which is definitely running
strong (in particular since the rate of CPU speed improvement has
dramatically slowed down in the last few years).

I don't think there is a point in making core2 the default; I don't
think it will bring any improvements except when building multimedia
stuff and even then it's not unlikely they don't provide hand-tuned
assembly but even then, -mtune should do be able to bring the
performance benefits on the newer CPUs while still running on the older
ones.

--
Adrien Nader