Hi Kai,

On 03/01/15 20:44, Kai Tietz wrote:
> Yeah, the issue about releasing something not really completing a
> feature is ... well ... feeling bad.  Nevertheless I admit that
> already a lot of changes went into master already, and it is obvious
> that our users are eager to get all this in an official released
> version.  Additionally it is getting latest with gcc 5.0 pretty
> mandatory to build it with current trunk version due its new '(n)ftw'
> feature.  So latest March/April we will need to release trunk IMO.

IMHO it's fine to release just for improvements in existing features,
although it's hard to build PR around it. Also we may call support for
GCC 5.0 a feature...

> But this raises some other questions we need to answer. What happens
> to the already existing open branches?  Do we plan do stop maintenance
> at some point for them? Who will tend new branch? Latest thing I
> remember is that JonY agreed to maintain 3.x.  So will he agree to do
> this also for upcoming 4.0?

IMO it's time to stop supporting branches 1.x and 2.x. I don't see why
people would like to use them. And if they really do, then, well, they
will still be able to. Those branches don't need security fixes and
alike, so if someone really wants to use them, it should work fine.

> The idea of light release sounds interesting.  But what shall we make
> a release criteria then?  Time,  amount of commits, features,  gut
> feeling?

I'd say let's go with gut feeling and see how it works.

Jacek