I'm building Firefox with debug information - I've tried both x86 and
x64 versions -
and it produced a gigantic 2+GB xul.dll.  I believe that in the
process it is also outputting bad DWARF information though, and
preventing it from running (or being debugged).

I have two scenarios of the same (?) problem.

The first is when all the debug information is in xul.dll. Trying to
run Firefox gives the 'bad image' error: 0xc000007b referencing
xul.dll.
Running this in gdb outputs
""C:\cygwin64\home\Tom\working\ff-transfer\debugging/x64-Og-no-strip/firefox/firefox.exe":
not in executable format: File format not recognized" - however I
think this is bogus, as when I run it outside gdb, the command line
starts up and the program produces a line of output before attempting
to load xul.dll and failing.

The second is when I have tried moving all the debug information into
a separate file and linking them with --add-gnu-debuglink. This does
run; but produced a segfault in firefox very early on. (In comparison
- a debug build with stripped debug information does _not_ have the
same failure scenario (it has a different failure scenario)).  Running
this in gdb this produced a "can't get string table" error upon

(gdb) symbol-file ./firefox-debuglink/.debug/xul.dll.debug
Load new symbol table from "./firefox-debuglink/.debug/xul.dll.debug"?
(y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Reading symbols from
./firefox-debuglink/.debug/xul.dll.debug..."C:\cygwin64\home\Tom\working\ff-transfer\debugging\firefox-debuglink\.debug\xul.dll.debug":
can't get string table
(gdb) run --no-remote -p
Starting program:
C:\cygwin64\home\Tom\working\ff-transfer\debugging\firefox-debuglink\firefox.exe
--no-remote -p
Assertion failure: false (cx->runtime()->gc.setParameter(key, value,
lock)), at /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/js/src/jsapi.cpp:1543

Thread 1 received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x06385aba in ?? ()
(gdb)
(gdb) bt
#0  0x06385aba in ?? ()
#1  0x0655d344 in ?? ()
#2  0x06769641 in ?? ()
... 30 more frames of ?? () ...
#33 0x00000000 in ?? ()

This is all using a MinGW version of gdb.exe from Equation Solution.
Interestingly, if I use cygwin's gdb, I get the following (when trying
the linked debug file):
Dwarf Error: bad offset (0x70bee73e) in compilation unit header
(offset 0x17441 + 6) [in module
/home/Tom/working/ff-transfer/debugging/firefox-debuglink/lgpllibs.dll]
(pause)
warning: section .gnu_debuglink not found in
/home/Tom/working/ff-transfer/debugging/firefox-debuglink/.debug/xul.dll.debug
Error while reading shared library symbols for
/home/Tom/working/ff-transfer/debugging/firefox-debuglink/xul.dll:
"/home/Tom/working/ff-transfer/debugging/firefox-debuglink/.debug/xul.dll.debug":
can't get string table
(last two lines repeat a few dozen times slowly, then the
gc.setParameter assertion error)

I have various examples, and can fairly easily create new ones. For
all of these 'target.zip' in the bottom pane is the file to download.
(I've pre-selected the correct job, but it's Bd in the 'Windows MinGW
all' line. Once selected it will say something like "Windows MinGW all
MinGW builds for Windows 64-bits build-win64-mingw32/debug WM64(Bd)"
in the bottom left to indicate x86 vs x64)

x64 O0
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=030b88690e7966e2f16c97006e44327797119894&selectedJob=171280346

x64 O3
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=d96601a5d61fd8de6653441a30732b49dc403e09&selectedJob=171407096