On Mon, 10 Jan 2022, LIU Hao wrote:

在 2022-01-01 05:54, Pali Rohár 写道:

Well, if you want from me any improvements in this patch, I can do it.
Just let me know what is needed to fix/change.

However, cleaning the code from such workarounds seems tempting. I wonder if
there is a real use case for this or is it just an experiment for fun?

There is a real use case to allow writing new DLL plugins with modern
mingw-w64 tools for older applications which were compiled with VC6 (and
which use VC6 msvcrt.dll).

Jacek, do we accept this patch, or suggest a `_vscprintf` in 'libmsvcrt.a' which overrides the one from MSVCRT (and provides it if MSVCRT doesn't, so it's always available)? The latter seems better.

I guess that could be a nicer way of handling it, so it doesn't only help in this particular case, but for any caller that happens to call that function.

But even if this current file is built as part of libmingwex.a, the function __ms_vsnprintf is only called in msvcrt builds anyway, so if kept here, it doesn't bother UCRT anyway.

// Martin