Thanks!  I changed it to use the lengthy &#... encoding and it is appearing
fine on my site; let's see what happens when you guys update (the actual
taglines are in mirrors.txt; the php reads in this file and outputs pretty html
for the page itself).

Any ideas why the old way worked on my server and not any others?

Finally, should I *also* change the page encoding to be UTF-8, or should I just
leave it?