I'm surprised everyone keeps recommending using vi and vim, yet no one
has given a pointer on how to learn it. Sure, an OReilly book may come
in handly for this (such as the pocket version of vi tips), but the
best way to learn is of course to read the man page.

Aside from the man page, if you install vim (which i highly
recommend), there is a little program/script/whatever called vimtutor
that will get you familiar with vi/vim. I hop this helps a little bit.

Good luck.. and welcome to UNIX (not those linux wannabees :P)